War Memorials at the Old Church in Helsinki (Vanhakirkko)
Type: Physical memorial
Updated: 8/29/2013 3:00:26 PM
License: © | By: Jon Brunberg | | enlarge
The Old Church is the oldest existing church in Helsinki. It was designed by Carl Ludwig Engel and was consecrated on 17 December 1826. Buried here are German soldiers and Finnish soldiers from the "white" side who fell in the battle of Helsinki in the Finnish Civil War in April 1918.
The last burial took place in 1919, when a grave for Finnish volunteers who died in Estonia´s war of independence was placed next to Yrjönkatu. The grave has a red granite monument with the Estonian cross of freedom.
POSTED BY JON BRUNBERG ON 9/22/2005blog comments powered by Disqus