SOVIET WAR MEMORIAL IN BERLIN (TIERGARTEN)
Type: Physical memorial
Updated: 1/8/2010 11:37:41 AM
This war memorial was built to honour the Soviet soldiers that fell in the battles against the German army in the Second World War. It was located at the 17 June Street very close to the German parliament - the Reichstag - in what would soon become West-Germany which meant that it was beyond everyday reach for the Soviet Army. To be able to visit the memorial it was agreed that Red Army troops had free passage to the memorial on certain days of remembrance. Around the time in the early 1960ies when the Berlin Wall was erected the presence of Soviet troops on the streets of Berlin awoke much anger among the West-Berliners and Soviet military veichles was on many occassions bombarded with stones from angry protestors.
The memorial is constructed as an arch with a bronze soldier on top pf it. The design actually resembles the Brandenburger Gate which is located only 100 metres away.
The inscription on the side of the memorial reads:
ETERNAL GLORY TO HEROES WHO FELL IN THE STRUGGLE AGAINST THE GERMAN FASCIST INVADERS FOR THE FREEDOM AND INDEPENDENCE OF THE SOVIET UNION
(c) All photos, Jon Brunberg / The Polynational War Memorial, 2005
See also the Soviet War Memorial in Treptow >>
All photos © Jon Brunberg / The Polynational War Memorial if not otherwise stated.
Part of the series ''60th Anniversary of the End of WWII in Berlin''
A series of articles from the events in Berlin during the anniversary of the end of WWII. All articles.
• Soviet War Memorial in Berlin (Tiergarten)
• Sowjetisches Ehrenmal in Treptower Park, Berlin (Soviet War Memorial)
• Memorial to the Murdered Jews of Europe
• Neue Wache, Berlin
• Memorial to Murdered Members of Parlament in Berlin
• The 60 th Anniversary of WWII in Berlin
• The 8 of May in Berlin: Day of Victory, Liberation or Defeat
• Images from the Ceremony at the Sowjetisches Ehrenmal on May 8
• The Memorial to Europe's Murdered Jews Open for the Public
• More Images from The Memorial to Europe's Murdered Jews in Berlin
POSTED BY JON BRUNBERG ON 8/31/2009blog comments powered by Disqus